lmi

Re: [lmi] Cover-page simplification

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Cover-page simplification
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 15:42:03 +0200

On Wed, 15 May 2019 02:43:25 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

[...]
GC> What is the real purpose of those <br> elements anyway? AFAICT, now
GC> they serve only to position the logo and a couple of other elements
GC> that are placed toward the bottom of the page.

 Yes, exactly.

GC> If so, then we could probably put those elements and the logo here in
GC> class cover_page:
GC>
GC>     // Only the lower part of the footer is wanted here.
GC>     std::string get_upper_footer_template_name() const override
GC>     {
GC>         return std::string {};
GC>     }
GC>
GC> using a mechanism that is already present, and unused today. Then,
GC> I think, these elements would grow from the bottom, and the other
GC> elements would grow from the top, so any space in the middle would
GC> automatically be blank, and we'd need no <br> elements, right?

 This would indeed work. It seems a bit illogical to split the cover page
template into two parts, one for the upper half of the page and another one
for the lower half, but I guess we could live with this.

 FWIW my best idea so far was to add another custom HTML element similar to
"growable spacer" in wx sizers, which would be somehow resized to expand to
fill all the remaining space. As the word "somehow" indicates, I'm not sure
how exactly this could be done, but I think it could be. This would
definitely be more complicated than what you propose above however and the
only advantage is that it would allow keeping all the cover page contents
in a single .mst file. If this is not critical, then I definitely prefer
your solution with pretending that the bottom part of the page is the top
part of the footer instead.

 Regards,
VZ