lmi

Re: [lmi] Should we allow the user to selectively hide columns in the ne

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Should we allow the user to selectively hide columns in the new census view?
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 16:34:00 +0200

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 14:28:41 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2019-09-14 13:12, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> >
GC> >  When using wxGrid with the native header control under MSW (which we do,
GC> > because the native header looks nicer and, well, more native), the user
can
GC> > right click the header and use the resulting popup menu to hide (or show
GC> > back) the different columns (if you'd like to see how it looks, just right
GC> > click the column header in Explorer view of, say, "Computer").
GC> >
GC> >  As this is something that can't be done with the current, wxDVC-based,
GC> > census editor, we initially decided to forbid doing it with the new editor
GC>
GC> Let's forbid it.

 Thanks for the answer!

 That's all I really needed, and I'm definitely not arguing with this, but
just a couple of supplemental remarks that might be useful if you ever
decide to get back to this:

GC> To make it less simple (by allowing columns to be turned on and off)
GC> is to open Pandora's box. If I can have a GUI that lets me turn some
GC> columns off, then why can't I have a GUI that lets me save the set
GC> of columns I've turned off, so that I never see them?

 Yes, I agree that this would have been a natural next step.

GC> And if I saved such a setting but forgot that I did so, where are the
GC> columns that I now find I need?

 In principle, right clicking the header and seeing unchecked columns
should be discoverable enough, knowing that the user must have right
clicked it in order to hide them in the first place.

GC> Or...if I've picked an msw "theme" that lacks this native feature

 This is not a theme-specific feature. I.e. the menu might look differently
in a different theme, but it would still be there.

 Anyhow, thanks again for answering this,
VZ