lmi

Re: [lmi] logname fails

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] logname fails
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 01:37:24 +0100

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 00:21:40 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2020-02-24 19:38, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[...]
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18570177/getpwuid-returns-null-for-ldap-user

GC> > It dates from 2013 and your problem is definitely not due to lack of 32
bit
GC> > libraries, but I wonder if /lib64/libnss_sss.so might be missing on your
GC> > system?
GC>
GC> It is present:
GC>
GC> $ls -l /lib64/libnss_sss.so.2
GC> -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 37168 Oct  9 08:23 /lib64/libnss_sss.so.2

 Disappointing, it would have been nice to find the real problem using
nothing but my deductive reasoning and all the information available to
Google (let's not quibble about the relative weights of these components).

 Still, I just can't believe there is no way to get the user name from the
user ID, does "ls -l" show you user IDs instead of names too? Also, I've
realized that I didn't know if "id -nu" didn't work only inside chroot or
inside the main system too? If it's just the former, maybe the problem will
get resolved by switching to the new schroot kind, but if it also fails in
the latter, I'd really consider using strace/ltrace/whatever means
necessary to debug and hopefully fix it.

 Regards,
VZ