lmi

Re: [lmi] Outdated GUI test data

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Outdated GUI test data
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 20:49:59 +0000

On 2020-06-26 21:53, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

>  If you haven't noticed it yet, the "paste census" GUI test doesn't pass
> any longer starting from today with the following error
>
> ---------------------------------- >8 --------------------------------------
> NOTE: starting the test suite
> paste_census: started
> Alarum: Input validation problems for '':
> Interval [ 0, 0 ) is improper: it ends before it begins.

Thanks for reporting that (indeed I happen not to have run the GUI test
yesterday), and explaining it:

>  It took me some time to understand what happened here (as I didn't see how
> could our grid changes result in this), but finally I realized what the
> real problem was: it's the passage of time.

"You are old," said the youth, "and your jaws are too weak
  For anything tougher than suet;
Yet you finished the goose, with the bones and the beak:
  Pray, how did you manage to do it?"

>  The unit test uses the following data, see wx_test_paste_census.cpp:

They're copied from
  https://www.nongnu.org/lmi/pasting_to_a_census.html
which must also be changed. For that, I'll need to find start up my
old supermicro and grab my gpg key from it, and then I can finally
mark your helpful message (TL;DR: gpg key != ssh key) here:
  https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2019-03/msg00004.html
as handled, at last.

We could make the oldest person a year younger:

> -        "Female\t19550625\tPresident\t700000, @65; 100000\n"
> +        "Female\t19560625\tPresident\t700000, @65; 100000\n"
[...]
> but I'm not sure we want to return to this problem in a year, os perhaps it
> would be worth increasing this further and maybe also modify the date in
> the line before it, to not have to return to this problem in 4 years
> neither? I can live with it arising again in 10 years, I think...
>
>  Anyhow, please let me know if you'd prefer to fix it in some different way

butI think I'll load that file (and webpage) in vim and do something like
  :%s/@65/@85/gc
and add a static assertion to the C++ file:
    // Update this file (and the webpage mentioned above) when needed.
    // __DATE__[9] is second-to-last digit of a four-digit year
    static_assert('4' != __DATE__[9]);