lmi

Re: [lmi] Availability of msw gcc binaries

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Availability of msw gcc binaries
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2020 00:18:28 +0200

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 20:56:24 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

GC> This would seem to be the canonical MinGW-w64 download page:
GC>   https://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw-w64
GC> but the latest version there is gcc-8.1.0, which is pretty
GC> old: gcc.gnu.org released 8.1 on 2020-03-04, and they're
GC> already up to 10.2 .

 It indeed looks like the files on SF are not being updated any longer, but
I have no idea why.

GC> Vadim--Do you know any reason why the "official" native
GC> binaries would be two years behind debian's cross builds?
GC> Could it be that almost everyone who compiles with gcc on
GC> an msw box is already using 'wsl'?

 I'm not sure, but I think most people use MSYS2, actually: it seems to
have become the de facto standard for building MSW software in Unix-y way
since a couple of years already, e.g. I see it used a lot (and am
considering using it myself) for the CI builds under MSW. I've tested it
myself and I must admit that it's indeed very convenient: it's trivial to
install, completely isolated from the rest of the system, but provides
everything you need to build 99% (or maybe even more, I really didn't find
anything missing) of the stuff. The problem is that it's still a whole new
environment and you need to learn at least a few commands to use its
package system.

 If you'd like to avoid this, more recent binaries are available from
http://winlibs.com/ (maintained by someone called Brecht Sanders) and
then there is also the revival of TDM-GCC that I had good experience with
(i.e. much better than with plain MinGW) in the past, see
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/, but it's, of course, a slightly
different compiler, which, perhaps, could be seen as an advantage, but
clearly can be a disadvantage too.

 To use exactly the same compiler I'm afraid we have to choose between
uncertain provenance/longevity of winlibs.com and all the extra weight
coming with MSYS2 (but this one should be more future-proof, as it's used
by many projects, including Git, for building their MSW binaries).

GC> At any rate, this is just one more reason for migrating
GC> all our development to linux.

 This is, of course, also a perfectly reasonable solution.

 Regards,
VZ