lmi

Re: [lmi] PATCH for wxPdfDoc: ignore 'autom4te.cache' artifacts

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] PATCH for wxPdfDoc: ignore 'autom4te.cache' artifacts
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 15:55:26 +0000

On 2020-10-16 12:57, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[...]
>  Yes, so I've just pushed your commit to the submodule and updated the main
> repository to use the new commit. The CI builds haven't finished yet, but I
> think they should pass now and I'll monitor them in case they don't.

I believe I've managed to update my production chroot, but let me
say what I did because it seems inelegant at best. I began the
way I always update my local tree when you've pushed to savannah:

  $git remote -v update
  $git pull

I have one unpushed local commit, so I expected the first part of this:

  $git status
  On branch master
  Your branch is ahead of 'origin/master' by 1 commit.
  (use "git push" to publish your local commits)

  Changes not staged for commit:
    (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
    (use "git restore <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
          modified:   third_party/wxpdfdoc (new commits)

...but not the second part that mentions new commits in a submodule.
This seemed like a good idea:

  $git submodule update --recursive third_party/wxpdfdoc
  Submodule path 'third_party/wxpdfdoc': checked out
'1839b231c5138edd40b752272631e2f1d5311456'

...but it didn't resolve the "(new commits)" message from git-status,
so I tried this:

  $pushd /opt/lmi/src/lmi/third_party/wxpdfdoc
  $git pull

  You are not currently on a branch.
  Please specify which branch you want to merge with.
  See git-pull(1) for details.

      git pull <remote> <branch>

I'm not on a branch? Well, let's get on a branch, then. The only
branch I see is 'master', so:

  $git switch master
  Previous HEAD position was 1839b23 Add '/autom4te.cache' to '.gitignore'
  Switched to branch 'master'
  Your branch is up to date with 'origin/master'.

  $git pull
  Already up to date.

Even so, in the topmost git directory, git-status says "(new commits)".

Then it struck me that 'master' might not be the branch I want,
and I thought I remembered something about an "lmi" branch, so:

  $git switch lmi
  Branch 'lmi' set up to track remote branch 'lmi' from 'origin'.
  Switched to a new branch 'lmi'

Uh-oh: if that branch were supposed to exist, then wouldn't it already have?
But now when I navigate back to the topmost git directory, everything's
copacetic:

  $git status
  On branch master
  Your branch is ahead of 'origin/master' by 1 commit.
    (use "git push" to publish your local commits)

  Untracked files:
  [exactly the local files I expect to see]

  nothing added to commit but untracked files present (use "git add" to track)

So now it looks like the "(new commits)" problem no longer exists,
but I have the distinct feeling that the method by which I got to
that state is not really appropriate. What was I supposed to do
instead?