lmi

Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master a6eb063a: Adapt to wine-7.0.1

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master a6eb063a: Adapt to wine-7.0.1
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 17:28:44 +0000

On 1/23/23 13:03, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jan 2023 14:54:32 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> GC> On 1/20/23 00:43, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> GC> > On Thu, 19 Jan 2023 19:29:49 -0500 (EST) Greg Chicares
> <gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> GC> [...]

Now it's
  wine-8.0-rc3 (Debian 8.0~rc3~repack-1)
in debian-testing.

> GC> Incidentally, these messages appear only for command-line tasks,
> GC> but not for the GUI test that is run under xvfb.
>
>  My hypothesis is that without the TTY Wine fails to connect to the local X
> server for whatever reason (e.g. perhaps it considers that it's not running
> interactively in this case), resulting in these messages. But when we
> explicitly use it with Xvfb, it does use it, and so the problem doesn't
> occur.
>
>  This is pure speculation so far, but I should be able to check it, if you
> think it's worth doing it, it just would take more time because my way of
> checking is rather time-consuming as it consists in first looking at Wine
> code and then, after invariably failing to understand what it does, running
> Wine under gdb and looking at what it's actually doing.
>
>  Anyhow, please let me know if I should look at this in more details,

I don't think that's necessary. We need to ask "to what end?".
Suppose you prove that 'wine' is looking for an X server even
when it's running disconnected. Would they change it? I think
they'd dismiss this as an exotic special case. Everything
works; the only problem is that we get a lot of diagnostics
that we don't desire.