lout-users

Re: Space between words

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Space between words
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 08:59:52 +1000

> while using Lout for quite some time, I observed several times that
> not acceptable. Take for example the code below and have a look at
> the second line of the postscript output: It looks like that I for-
> got to type a space in the source code between 'Zeitabhangigkeiten,'
> and 'Zustandswechsel' [I used Lout 3.12].

Thanks, I'll look into it.  No prizes for guessing that the long
words are putting Lout on the wrong scent.

> Lout uses TeX's paragraph breaking algorithm, and TeX sets a lower
> limit for the glue (the space between 'objects') to shrink. How about
> Lout? How does Lout set the limits for interword spaces? Or can Lout
> print a warning message if it has to shrink the space too much for some
> reason?

Yes, Lout does have a lower limit, but unlike TeX Lout never actually
gives up on any paragraph.  So the more important question is how
does Lout compare a very tight line against the alternative, hyphenation
or having a very loose line.  I'll do some debug runs on your paragraph
and maybe alter the weightings.

A warning message is certainly a possibility, although I would prefer
it if Lout just did as well as possible and said nothing, because that
kind of warning message never goes away.

Jeff