lout-users

Re: Contents formatting oddity

From: Albert Kinderman
Subject: Re: Contents formatting oddity
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:38:11 -0700

address@hidden wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> When using the book format to generate a table of contents, one typically gets
> something like the following:
>
> Typical Contents Entry . . . . . . . . PgNum
>
> This is all fine and good and as expected.  But, in cases where one has a very
> long title for the entry in the table of contents, taking up the full line,
> one
> gets something like the following:
>
> Less typical very long contents entry
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PgNum
>
> So, instead of just putting the page number, with no leader, after the text
> portion of the entry, one gets a whole line of leader and a page number.
>
> This behaviour seems less than desirable.  Or, I would have expected the
> following:
>
> Less typical very long contents entry PgNum
>
> Could this be fixed for the forthcoming stable release?  If you need me to
> supply sample lout code, let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

But what would you suggest for

Less typical but even longer than previous
contents entry . . . . . . . . . . . .  PgNum  ?

The question appear to be what is the minimum number of leaders to
appear on a line before the PgNum.  You are arguing for the minimum to
be zero while lout uses a minimum of 1.  Should this be an option in a
setup file?

Al

--
Albert Kinderman             California State University, Northridge
Systems and Operations Management          address@hidden