lout-users

Question about output after compiling document

From: Paul Korrol
Subject: Question about output after compiling document
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 15:06:49 -0700 (PDT)

I am trying to learn to use lout. I created the sample document shown at the start of the "Lout User Guide" The markup is shown below.

@SysInclude {doc}
@Doc @Text @Begin
@Display @Heading {Introduction by W. J. Harvey}
For Virginia Woolf, @I Middlemarch was the 'the magnificent book which for
all its imperfections is one of the few English novels written for grown-up
people.'
@PP
She was, no doubt, thinking of George Eliot's unblinking but compassionate
delineation of her characters, of the subtlety of psychological analysis
and the maturity of moral comment which underlie this complex and varied
novel of English provincial life in the early nineteenth century.
@End @Text

After compiling the document, the postscript file (and that file converted to pdf) are not exactly what is shown in the user guide. Specifically, there is no space after the comma between the words "Woolf and Middlemarch," that is it appears as "Woolf,Middlemarch." Also in the second paragraph, the same occurs with the words "characters, of." The latter appears as "characters,of. "

I have also tried creating other documents. They, too, show missing spaces between words, particularly words followed by a comma  or words that end sentences with a period.

For the document discussed above, I used Linux Mint, version 9 (64-bit) and lout-3.38. I did not modify any configuration files.

I have gotten the same result with output using ArchLinux (64-bit) In that distro, I built Lout from the source code and did modify the configuration as per compilation directions.

Any advice regarding this seemingly random omission of spaces in the ps and pdf output documents would be welcome.

Thanks