Re: [Ltib] making ISO release (aka -m release)

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] making ISO release (aka -m release)
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 14:01:33 +0000

Hi Andrea,

There are quite a few items to cover here, but to cut to the chase, you
can do what you want.

The longer answer is this:

* If you want to make a derivative BSP, then you should really start
from the external sources provided at bitshrine.org (via savannah).  The
reason for this is that in the "official" iso releases provided by
Freescale, there could be some components that require explicit end user
license agreement, or in some other way not be 100% re-distributable by
you.  For example, I don't think all of the documentation that is on the
iso images is freely distributable.

* I would recommend doing the whole thing using savannah CVS and the
GPP.  Unless you have something closed, this will offer you the simplest
ongoing maintenance effort.

* If you don't want to do that and you intend to distribute your own
BSPs and maintain them, even if you don't want to publish some of the
content, you'd still be better of using the public CVS.  The ltib source
tree normally only has references to content, and you don't have to
upload those to the GPP.  The advantage this has is that you'll be able
to keep your BSP in sync with the master LTIB project.  What I'm
suggesting is that if you had CVS write permissions you can create and
maintain your own branch.  You'd then be able to make releases and tag
CVS.

* If you don't want to use the public CVS to make your BSP available,
I'd recommend that you create your own private LTIB CVS project and then
use the public CVS as the initial (and subsequent) vendor import.  That
way you have a means of keeping your private tree in sync with the
public one.  Also this will allow you to use the normal '-m release'
process that references CVS

* If you don't want to use CVS at all, you can still make a release, but
to do this you have to first generate a MANIFEST file that lists all the
files that need to go into the release, and then when you run -m
release, you need to use the special tag name: 'localdir'.  To generate
an initial MANIFEST file you need to have a CVS copy (e.g. savannah) and
run something like:

cvs status 2>/dev/null | perl -e '
    $_ =`cat CVS/Root`;
    ($cvsroot) = m,(/.*),;
    while(<>) {
        m#^\s+Repository revision:.*$cvsroot/(.*),v#o and print "$1\n";
    }
' > MANIFEST

This file will need to be hand edited to add/remove unwanted files.

Regards, Stuart