Re: [Ltib] halt or shutdown packages

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] halt or shutdown packages
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:00:40 +0000

Hi Henry,

>From what I recall:

poweroff:  does a halt and then tries to power off the system.  This is
what I use.  It is the orderly way to get your machine to an off state.

halt:  this just does an orderly shutdown but doesn't turn power off the
device

shutdown: this is a more general interface.  Just a shutdown sends out
broadcast messages and shuts-down the machine after a period of time.
But you can give it options (not sure in busybox etc) such as: 'shutdown
-h now' (halt in effect), 'shutdown -r' (reboot)

This is all just standard UNIX stuff, so check out the various online
resources or local man pages.

Regards, Stuart