Re: [Ltib] Special tag localdir_nobuild causes LTIB to go to the config

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Special tag localdir_nobuild causes LTIB to go to the config screen.
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 15:30:52 +0000

Hi Aaron,

PKG_KERNEL_LEAVESRC is meant to be a one-shot as once unpacked the source will remain and so there's no need to keep the flag enabled.

If you package needs the kernel source unpacked it should be selecting PKG_KERNEL_LEAVESRC rather than relying on manually setting this in the ./ltib -m config session. Take a look at config/userspace/package.lkc, for example:

config PKG_HELLOWORLD_MOD
    depends CAP_HAS_MMU
    select PKG_KERNEL_LEAVESRC
    bool "hello world module example"
    help
        simple hello world kernel modules example

Regards, Stuart

address@hidden wrote:
Hi Peter and Stuart.  Working with my kernel module is precisely where
this gave me a little trouble.  I understand that you need the kernel
source unpacked for a kernel module package.  My question was why this is
a one-shot or transient variable.  The area that it was giving me a few
problems was after creating an iso release, the build and installation of
the BSP onto another machine.  Using `./ltib` I would attempt to build the
whole project (host and target packages), and I would get stuck on the
kernel module package because my kernel source would not remain in the
BUILD directory.  This was because the PKG_KERNEL_LEAVESRC=y that I had
put in place earlier was getting cleared automatically by a call to
`./ltib` when building the iso.  Since I was running into this sort of
problem, I was wondering if there is any beneficial reason for having the
LEAVESRC variable as a one-shot or transient variable.  It seems like if
you have the source out for a particular package, and then you wanted to
get rid of it, you can just remove it, and change the configuration to
comment out any variables like PKG_KERNEL_LEAVESRC if necessary.  Updating
the date/time stamp on my config/platform/${board}/.config file does not
force a rebuild of the kernel for me.

One to thik about is a seperate package that builds a kernel module
(like PKG_HELLO_WORLD_MOD).  It needs the kernel source to remain so it
can use the kernel build structure/headers to create a module that is
loadable by the kernel....

Hi Aaron,

Once source code is blown out and left (with LEAVESRC) it will stay
there. nothing will remove it until you do manually, so the flag only
needs to be transient.  The need for this is as Peter says, some
packages (like kernel modules) need access to the the real built kernel
sources.

--leavesrc --force should leave all the sources unpacked.  This is
generally speaking a bad idea.

Thanks for the patch.