[Ltib] Choosing Source Packages

From: Mark
Subject: [Ltib] Choosing Source Packages
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 12:30:26 +0100

Hello

I need to add some extra packages to my LTIB setup, including Ruby, and
was wondering whether anybody has any recommendations regarding choosing
appropriate source packages/patch sets.

I'm currently considering either:

a) Downloading the original source from package maintainer's site, or

b) Downloading the Debian source package and the associated patch set,if
any.

I am guessing that option a) may give me a more recent version, but
presumably patched Debian versions may offer some advantages such as
fixes, updates, improved cross-build compatibility etc.

I'd be interested to know what approach others have taken and whether
anybody else has Ruby working.

Thanks

Mark