Re: [Ltib] LTIB: distribute prebuilt host RPM packages (rpm-fs, git, di

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] LTIB: distribute prebuilt host RPM packages (rpm-fs, git, distcc, ...)
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 14:59:39 +0100

Hi Gernot,

It's not really practical to provide pre-built rpms for the host support
packages.  The reason is that they need to be built so they run reliably
on each distribution.  For example if you tried to run a pre-built
binary linked with gcc4 on a gcc3 machine, it's going to fail.  By
building the host packages from scratch is able to be installed on
pretty much any distribution.

In your case, if you know that each VM/install is on the same host
distribution, you could build it once and then tar up /opt/ltib and then
untar that with your script as part of the install process.

Regards, Stuart