[Ltib] RE: JFFS2 crc errors

From: Kevin Wells
Subject: [Ltib] RE: JFFS2 crc errors
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 22:48:24 +0200

Hi Chris,

I think you’re ok and it’s just an artifact of stopping the garbage collector daemon….but this question might be better suited for the MTD/JFFS2 forums.

In the link Giri provided, I think you’re looking at unclean reboot case when the GC was working.

I did run a test on my board where I filled a JFFS2 partition with files, erased them all, and then refilled them again with other files. And then shut down the system (safely) with the garbage collector daemon still running and before it was complete without un-mounting the partition. On my next boot, the thread found the same type of error. If I un-mounted the partition and shut down, it was ok.

During garbage collection, you’ll see this running…

  436     2 root     RWN      0   0%  39% [jffs2_gcd_mtd4]

And here is the error on my board. On my board, the error showed up about 20 seconds after the partition was mounted and when gcd was running…

address@hidden /]# JFFS2 notice: (436) check_node_data: wrong data CRC in data node at 0x03200000: read 0xb0b6030f, calculated 0x95e2caad.

You can also test out the MTD subsystem using the kernel MTD tests if you want to check the MTD support. These install as modules and will help verify NAND and the MTD driver are working correctly.

Kevin

Hi Chris,

   More info regarding JFFS2 messages http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/jffs2.html

Regards,