[Ltib] Adding building of kernel from SVN

From: Peter Barada
Subject: [Ltib] Adding building of kernel from SVN
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:32:58 -0500

Stuart,
My company uses SVN as its SCM, and I've added support to build a kernel using
SVN instead of the tarball/patches to make it much easier for more than one
developer to hack up kernel code.

To support this (and make it properly work with Buildbot) I've modified the
ltib script to:

1) Ignore .svn files
2) If the package version is "svn" then we force a build (but not a $dir_bld)
to have ltib go throught he package %prep step
3) Export KERNEL_RESPOITORY (the SVN URL to access the kernel source)
4) Export KERNEL_SCM_SKIP_UPDATE (to allow skipping "svn update" for a
previously unpacked package)

Note that ltib-svn-kernel-build.patch works in conjunction with my previous
ltib-clobber.patch as it uses $svn_bld to set $r (which causes a build) instead
of $dir_bld which prevents --clobber from affecting the unpacked source.

I've also attached:
1) kernel26-svn-build.spec.in which will checkout/update kernel source (in
rpm/BUILD/kernel-svn) from an SVN repository.
2) kernel_dir_build.lkc.patch which adds
KERNEL_REPOSITORY/KERNEL_SCM_SKIP_UPDATE if KERNEL_SVN_BUILD is enabled
(assumed this is done in a platform main.lkc where once can select
KERNEL_DIR_BUILD)
3) kernel-common.tmpl.patch to use tar to copy over the kernel header files (as
cp fails with "permission denied" on .svn files in the headers)

I'm sure with a minor additions this approach can be extended to support CVS
and git to allow kernel building from any of the common SCMs.  Ultimately it
would be nice to extend this to support building any package from an SCM...

Hope others finds this useful!

--
Peter Barada
address@hidden