Re: [Ltib] Need to remove package build source if that package .spec cha

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Need to remove package build source if that package .spec changed
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 09:16:16 +0000

On 31/01/11 18:38, Peter Barada wrote:
> On 01/31/2011 12:52 PM, Stuart Hughes wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> I started implementing this and again I found myself asking; what if
>> someone has edits they want in that directory and they get clobbered?
>> Whether tarball or svn (git, cvs etc) based packages, no one will thank
>> you if their precious work gets zapped.
>>
>> The only safe way to do this would be to ensure prior to source removal
>> ensure that the sources have not been changed.  The problem with this is
>> that:
>>
>> * This can take a long time as it needs a full unpack of the reference
>> and then a diff -q, which I guess could be okay/acceptable
>>
>> * This can only work for tarball based package which is okay/acceptable
>>
>> * This is not reliable unless the clean/distclean for the package
>> actually works. Which may/may not be acceptable
>>
>> Let me know if:
>>
>> a) You agree with my reasoning
>>
>> b) You still think this is worth trying to do (it's more complicated
>> than the patch you sent)
> I believe its still worth doing for the tarball/patch case to make LTIB more
> usable in an automated build system as part of continuous integration
> development where user interaction is impractical.
>
> "--clobber" is not a switch for the feint of heart; it specifically allows
> LTIB to remove something that could possibly contain changes you want to
> keep, and should only be specified by those that fully understand the risks
> of doing so.
>
> W/o digging into RPM deeper, is there any way RPM can determine if a .spec
> files contains %source/%patch changes (from the databse LTIB keeps) that
> require re-executing %prep to bring the source into sync?

There's nothing I know of in RPM that can detect changes to
%source/%patches.  The state handling side of things needs to be in LTIB.

One suggestions for you.  In the auto-builder I maintain (the one that
post results to this list).  At the weekend when I do a full re-build
from scratch, I do (in an external script) rm -rf rpm/BUILD/*
Maybe that would work for you?