[Ltib] ltib u-boot tools and make env - fw_printenv

From: Chris LaRocque
Subject: [Ltib] ltib u-boot tools and make env - fw_printenv
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 11:39:11 -0500

Hello

I'm working with an mpc8308erdb using the BSP from Freescale. Everything is now
building correctly thanks to the information on this and other forums / mail lists.

I need to be able to change the mac addresses from within linux when it is running
and then re-boot. This is so the boards can be configured easily both in production
or field upgrade / repair and for backward compatibility.

I want to use u-boot fw_printenv to do this and so my questions.

1> Is it sufficient to use ltib shell to make the binary after a full build of u-boot and place it
     in /sbin? Will the binary be included when I execute ltib and build rootfs?

2> Should I mod the ltib scripts to u-boot make env?

I've seen the hello world example and think I can use it to accomplish my goals.

Third question.

Has anyone done this already? I see a patch from freescale in the u-boot-tools spec
file "u-boot-tools-1.1.6-make_env.patch" yet it doesn't build fw_printenv. I've asked
Freescale FAE but have not gotten a response yet. I'm on a tight schedule and
hoping to accelerate my learning process / productivity.

Any help or direction is appreciated.

Thank You

Chris LaRocque