Re: [Ltib] Offering a bandwidth solution

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Offering a bandwidth solution
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 11:13:48 +0100

Hi Wouter,

Thanks very much for the offer. Unfortunately it's not entirely
straightforward to mirror/setup as I've had to put some defense around
scripted accesses.  Here's a "war story":

A few months ago, someone had a script running accessing the GPP.  This
ended up requesting a file and then immediately cancelling the request
and then requesting the same file again (in a hard infinite loop).  The
file happened to be a toolchain, which the ISP apache server measured as
being 100MB (or so).  Their bandwidth counting was quite crude, and only
looked at reply status (200) and size (100MB) and so as it ran in a loop
for several days, they measured the site as having used 1.2 TB of data
in 2 days, this resulted in the site being blocked for a while.
Eventually I persuaded the ISP folk that actually that this bandwidth
use would have been physically impossible, even on a LAN and so they
re-set my counter.  I never found out if this was malicious, or just a
scripting error, but in any event that was the trigger that led me to:
        * Stop listings of the GPP
        * Stop direct access to the GPP.  Now you are gated by a script.

This was not the only "incident", just the worst.

So any mirror would probably need similar defenses.  Unfortunately I
have zero time at the moment to liaise/set-up and things right now seem
relatively stable (normal activity falls well within the current ISP
server capability). So for now I'm not able to take you up on your kind
offer, but maybe this could be something for the future.

Thanks again for your offer and for using LTIB.

Regards, Stuart