[Ltib] ltib Package/Application Development

From: Fons, Richard J (SA-1)
Subject: [Ltib] ltib Package/Application Development
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 15:27:35 -0500

Hello All,

We have been using ltib for some time now.  We have gotten a base system up and running on our own hardware and we have chosen to develop our application using the package build process.  In the end, 4 files represent the output of a build (./ltib –f): u-boot-nand.bin, mpc8308erdb.dtb, rootfs.ext2.gz.uboot, and uImage.  Ideally, repeated builds done with identical sources should produce identical output. In fact, repeated builds with identical sources will result in identical output for the mpc8308erdb.dtb file and the uImage file.  Unfortunately, this is not the case for the u-boot-nand.bin and rootfs.ext2.gz.uboot files.  Comparing the u-boot-nand.bin files, using vbindiff, from two consecutive builds (from identical sources) makes it clear that a build date/time stamp is embedded in each file, and this is the only difference.  Comparing the rootfs.ext2 precursor files, using vbindiff, from two consecutive builds (from identical sources) makes it clear that build date/time stamps are embedded many times in the files.  This makes sense since the rootfs.ext2.gz.uboot file holds the file system and naturally files have creation and modification dates.

So I am faced with the problem of how to easily verify the integrity of my build process.  Given that my source code control tools preserve my sources, how can I easily verify my ability to generate proper build output?  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Best regards,

Dick Fons

Richard J. Fons, P.E.

Principal Engineer