Re: [Ltib] Using Profiles and Preconfigs

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Using Profiles and Preconfigs
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 17:51:07 +0000

Hi Mark,

On 09/01/13 13:58, Mark wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am looking at using profiles and preconfigs to control builds for different
> products on the same platform.
>
> My understanding is that...
>
> ...preconfigs are copies of specific defconfig files, i.e. they contain all
> of the
> system configuration including toolchain, kernel, user packages etc.
>
> ...profiles are just the user package configuration sections from defconfig
> files
> between the 'Package list' and the 'Target System Configuration' entries.
>
> My questions are as follows:
>
> 1) Are my assumptions above correct?

Yes.  Preconfigs are all settings, profile is just a package list.  The
idea is that is you had a package list for a router or some other
device, you could apply that to another platform.

> 2) Do the profiles override the equivalent settings in a preconfig file? i.e.
> if
> a package is selected by the preconfig and de-selected by the profile, which
> takes precedence?

Yes I think so, but it's so long ago I can't be 100% sure.

> 3) Is there any way to create a profile other than just 'carving out' the
> appropriate package section from a complete defconfig file?

In the bin directory, there are 2 scripts: spit_profile and
splice_profile.

* spit_profile takes the config file (on the command line) as input and
output the profile (package part) of that config.
         spit_profile <.config>

* splice_profile replaces the packages in a defconfig/.config file with
those from the profile file passed on the command line.
        splice_profile <.config> <profile>