[Ltib] libtool library files configured for native install break build

From: Aaron Wegner
Subject: [Ltib] libtool library files configured for native install break build
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 17:14:30 -0400

I'm having a few issues with *.la files installed in the staging directory
redirecting subsequent libtool link commands to the wrong area for the
library.  In this example I'm trying to deploy util-linux-2.21-1 and
udev-182.  In the deploy of util-linux-2.21-1 I see the following warning.

libtool: install: warning:
`/home/aaron-lovelock/dmu3/ltib/rpm/BUILD/util-linux-2.21/libuuid/src/libuuid.la'
has not been installed in `/usr/lib'

Then, in the build of udev I get the following error.

make[2]: *** [udevadm] Error 1
libtool: link: warning: library
`/home/aaron-lovelock/dmu3/ltib/rootfs/usr/lib/libblkid.la' was moved.
libtool: link: cannot find the library `/usr/lib/libuuid.la' or unhandled
argument `/usr/lib/libuuid.la'

The last lines of the file rootfs/usr/lib/libuuid.la contain the following.

# Directory that this library needs to be installed in:
libdir='/usr/lib'

If I instead change these to the following, and also edit
rootfs/usr/lib/libblkid.la in a similar manner, then everything links
properly.

# Directory that this library needs to be installed in:
libdir='/home/aaron/project/ltib/rootfs/usr/lib'

Also, if I just delete all the *.la files in the rootfs directory prior to
building udev-182 then the link is also successful.  I'm wondering if
anyone else out there has dealt with cross-compiled libtool library files
containing bogus info for the staging directory and how this is usually
dealt with.

I found one link on the net which suggests editing the files to contain
the path of the staging directory.  I assume that this could be automated
with sed in a spec file if that's the appropriate way of dealing with it.

http://www.metastatic.org/text/libtool.html

Thanks,

Aaron