[Ltib] PKG_KERNEL_PRECONFIG[.dev] handling

From: Mike Goins
Subject: [Ltib] PKG_KERNEL_PRECONFIG[.dev] handling
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 14:03:58 -0400

I'm having an issue in kernel-common.tmpl with the preconfig and the
existence of the .dev file.

If the .dev file exists then it gets set as the CFG:

for CFG in "$PLATFORM_PATH/${PKG_KERNEL_PRECONFIG}.dev"
"$PLATFORM_PATH/$PKG_KERNEL_PRECONFIG"
do
   if [ -f $CFG ]
   then
       CFG_PATH=$CFG
       break
   fi
done
<snip>
cp -f $CFG_PATH $KBOUT/.config
<snip>
yes "" | make ARCH=$LINTARCH HOSTCC="$BUILDCC" oldconfig

This ends up rebuilding the kernel based on the .dev file and not the
PRECONFIG since the .dev file exists. We are not tracking .dev files
in version control, so this process is not using an updated PRECONFIG
that may arrive in version control.  Continuous integration systems
noticeably are being affected.

Has anyone else run into this?  Tracking the .dev file looks like it
may fix this, but I'd prefer that as a last resort. Anything wrong
with testing the time-stamps of the PRECONFIG and .dev file and using
the PRECONFIG if it is newer?  What if I changed the order in the "for
CFG in"?

Thanks