Re: [Ltib] One step, CMO build

From: Jump, Lance
Subject: Re: [Ltib] One step, CMO build
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 18:36:26 +0000

Designation:  Non-Finmeccanica

> Hi Lance,
>
> The idea of using configuration management on top of something that is
> already under configuration management is not such a great idea,
> although I do understand.

Yes, and that may the at the heart of the issue. LTIB is doing configuration
management, but some organizations want to do it themselves and differently.
And in many organizations, the developers and CMO have different skill sets due
to their different charters.

> The expected way to do this is with: ./ltib -m trelease
>
> This does a load of checked and spits out an ISO image including
> pre-built binaries and all the source code that made the binaries.
>
> There is also a -m release, but to use this you need integration with
> the "mother" CMS (write access).

Perhaps there is a middle ground between checking the whole the LTIB working
directory into SVN and maintaining only the "foreign source" files there. We do
the former now and it makes it difficult to see "substantive changes" when so
many byproducts change as well. Maybe one of the "clean" targets in LTIB would
minimize the byproducts to check in while preserving the configuration.

3.3.042312