lwip-members

Re: [lwip-members] CVS access with WinCVS

From: Leon Woestenberg
Subject: Re: [lwip-members] CVS access with WinCVS
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:04:02 +0100

Hello Florian,

> Since savannah updated their systems I wasn't able to access CVS with
> WinCVS.
> - I got my new password.
> - I made a SSH2 key.
> - I uploaded the public part of that key to savannah (on my options page).
> - I set up WinCVS to use the SSH2 key.
> - All I get is EOF from server.
>
> Had anyone luck using WinCVS for developer access?

I have never used a WinCVS builtin SSH authentication method, so I cannot
comment on that.

In the past, but also now, I have used the free SSH client "PuTTY" for
Windows along with WinCVS or TortoiseCVS.

PuTTY is accompanied by the "Pageant" key agent. This is what I have
running when I am logging into remote systems. I only have to enter my
passphrase once.

PuTTY also has a command line ssh called "plink", which is the Windows
equivalent of Unix's "ssh" command (more or less, especially less :-).

Tortoise also has the command line ssh, called TortoisePlink. It is the
same thing, but features a Windows Requester when verifying a unknown
hosts key fingerprint.

So, in practice, I use "TortoisePlink" as the external SSH command (in both
WinCVS and TortoiseCVS) and Pageant to keep me from typing the
passphrase on each access to Savannah.

Also, more and more I am using Eclipse to do everything from. It has all the
stuff integrated (CVS, C/C++ IDE, SSH2, FTP, WebDAV).

Hope this helps someone,

Leon.