lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] lwIP or uIP

From: Peter Graf
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] lwIP or uIP
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 21:47:08 -0000

>> Another question: I want to use a uIP for my home-controlling system.
>> (every chamber will have his own controller) Therefore i want to use little
>> micro-controllers connected with RS485 to each other (Yes, it will work
>> half-duplex) and my linux-server. Can i use the uIP protocol (with SLIP) to
>> communicate over such a RS485 network.
>> Have somebody tried this before ? what are your experiences ? Other ideas
>
>I have no experience with RS485, but I believe it is a multipoint link type
>(?). If so, it might need some address resolution protocol such as ARP.
But I
>do not have any experience in this field, so you probably shouldn't listen
>me.

I have used RS485 for serial connections. No problem for a point-to-point
connection.
But you would need an arbitration scheme, and would not be able to
communicate between
more than two devices at the same time. So a look at fully integrated
ethernet controllers like the CS8900 might be worth the effort. It can be
used with 8 bit CPUs.

Bye

Peter Graf