lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] threads, semaphores and raw interface question

From: leon . woestenberg
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] threads, semaphores and raw interface question
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 22:02:38 -0000

[Re-post, I scr*wed up my earlier email due to me strungling using L*tus
N*tes]

Hello Adam,

OK, that clears things up for me.

An additional question, just to be sure I understand the consequences
of using the raw API:

Does this mean the messaging (mail box) calls can be left empty as well?

So, under pre-0.5 lwIP, the minimal single-threaded sys_arch merely has to
implement the timeout call?

Regards,

Leon Woestenberg

The semaphore calls in the sys_arch can be implemented as empty functions
in
the single threaded case. The reason for using them in the code (memp.c and

mem.c) is that the code should work in the multithreaded case as well. The
memory pools and the heap memory are shared resources so they have to be
protected by semaphores. In a single threaded environment, this protection
isn't necessary so the sys_sem_ functions can be left empty.