lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] sys_timeout()

From: Peter Graf
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] sys_timeout()
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:35:50 -0000

Hi Adam,

thanks for answering my naiv questions.

>There are no reqiurements of this kind - this is up to the underlying
process
>scheduler in the kernel. The time-out scheduling should not be confused with
>thread scheduling, which is handled by the kernel on which lwIP is run.

Well I think I might have to confuse (or combine) both. My problem is that
I can not let lwIP handle the semaphores/messages, it must be done by the
OS (SMSQ/E).

The reason is, that the application code is not statically linked to the
TCP/IP code. And dynamical linking is not possible. TCP/IP job and the
application can not share the same entrys to the lwIP sema/message calls :-(

Hence the TCP/IP job can only communicate with the application jobs by
sema/message calls handled solely by the OS, not by lwIP. Now if the lwIP
timer scheduling directly depends on semaphore/message related scheduling,
it probably must also be handled by the OS. (And this OS doesn't support
timeouts the way you have defined them.)

Not a typical situation for lwIP I guess. If I get it right, lwIP seems to
prefer the typical "embedded" situation, where application and TCP/IP code
is directly linked together. I'll have to work around that. Thanks for
clarifying the meaning of  sys_timeout().

All the best

Peter