lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] RS485

From: Adam Dunkels
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] RS485
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 00:48:09 -0000

On Thursday 11 October 2001 12:29, you wrote:
> > There is a bug in the uIP checksum code when compiled for big endian
> > systems.
>
> Nice to know. I just fixed my copy of uIP sources.

I'll put out a new version of uIP once all the portabliity bugs have been
located and squashed. The new version will also include code for more
platforms as well.

> As a matter of fact, the main trouble with TCP/IP v4 lies in the
> addressing. IPv6 is supposed to solve this, and many other problems as
> well, but so far it hasn't caught enough to reach a critical mass.

Indeed. The advantage with IPv6 addressing over IPv4 is not only the size of
the address space, but also the addition of link local addressing, stateless
autoconfiguration of address, the requirement of multicast operationg among
others. I believe that IPv6 is ideal for embedded systems because of those
features. Stateless autoconfiguration means that there is no need for DHCP
servers and multicast means that systems have a mean to make themselves
known.

lwIP has some very basic support for IPv6. (If someone wondered why IP
addresses in lwIP was repressented by a "struct ip_addr *" instead of a
simple 32-bit type - this is why.) The IPv6 code will be further developed
for future releases with the goal of making a lightweight IPv6 stack. The
idea of using a proxy to lessen some of the stack's burden in this case will
be investigated more thuroughly as well.

> Best regards, and kudos for your network stack implementation. I also
> enjoyed the MiniWeb demonstration code a lot.

Thanks!

/adam
--
Adam Dunkels <address@hidden>