lwip-users

[lwip-users] [lwip] Timeouts in semaphores and mailboxes, and the 0.6 AP

From: Adam Chodorowski
Subject: [lwip-users] [lwip] Timeouts in semaphores and mailboxes, and the 0.6 API
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 01:18:00 -0000

Hi.

I'm working on porting lwIP to AROS (http://www.aros.org/) and I'm wondering a
bit about timeouts in semaphores and mailboxes.

I would like to keep lwIP's semaphores and mboxes as close as possible to the
AROS equivalents, which do not have support for timeouts. I grepped around in
the source a bit, and found that sys_arch_sem_wait() is only called by
sys_sem_wait() and that all other code calls the latter (which doesn't support
timeouts). Looking at sys_sem_wait() (*), it seems that the timeouts are used
for some kind of sheduling of requests that I don't really understand the
purpose of. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Could I instead of implementing sys_arch_sem_wait() implement sys_sem_wait()
using a blocking call, or is the timeout sheduling (or whatever it is)
required for lwIP to function properly?

(*) BTW, sys_sem_wait() seems to have been written by copying bits of
sys_mbox_fetch, making some of the comments a tad confusing. ;-)

Also, I've seens some messages in the archives that there will be a new event
base API in 0.6. Is there any more information about this? Does it impact on
the system API (ie. should I wait with porting until 0.6 is out)?

---
Adam Chodorowski <address@hidden>

A Thaum is the basic unit of magical strength.  It has been universally
established as the amount of magic needed to create one small white pigeon
or three normal sized billiard balls.
    -- Terry Pratchett, "The Light Fantastic"