lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Problem running under Linux 2.4

From: Felipe Massia Pereira
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Problem running under Linux 2.4
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 01:54:43 -0000

Hello,

1. check the permissions of the file. I dont know if a user other than
root can use /dev/net/tun, so the best choice is run lwIP as root.

2. here is my tun dev:

~ $ ls -l /dev/net/tun
crw-r--r--    1 root     root      10, 200 Sep  6 15:53 /dev/net/tun

Thats' for Linux 2.4.18 but should be compatible with Linux 2.4.2-2 as
well. If this is not correct for you, use mknod to create a char file
/dev/net/tun with major 10 and minor 200, as root (mknod has man page).

3. I guess this is your problem: You should check if the driver module is
loaded. As root type "insmod tun" and lwIP should work now.
Type "tail /var/log/messages" just after running lwIP simulation; if the
problem is the module, this file should have a message of warning like
"can not load module for char-major-10-200". You can include the line
"alias char-major-10-200 tun" in your /etc/modules.conf and the module
will be loaded on demand if you have kernel modules autoloader, but dont
mind about that if it's not working with "insmod tun".

that's it
Felipe