lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Finally here..

From: David Ryan
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Finally here..
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 03:23:15 +0000

Hi Leon,

Great that you're close to a stable release. I guess I'll wait for the release before finishing off my dns resolver.

For the future I would be interested in how you guys might identify release points for new versions? Since moving to Savannah I've noticed a huge amount of activity in CVS commits, but from the outside the changes were very fluid. I've just spent a few minutes thinking about how I (as a user of lwip) would like to see future releases occur.

The main thing that I would like to see is a plan of what the next release goal will include. Then after those specific goals have been achieved a release made. Possibly those changes that are architectual changes are placed in a development branch, keeping the main head of CVS for releases and bug fixes. My concern with branching off the stable releases will be that they forgotten and bug fixes will be placed in the head and not the stable branch. Keeping development in a branch would keep it very clear where a change is placed. Bug fixes in the main head. This also means that when the development branch is merged back in for a release, nothing will be lost. You could also maintain multiple development branches for major and minor releases.

I was looking at other projects for possible ideas for a release policy. I think the Mozilla Roadmap (http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html) is nice, but possibly overkill for a project like lwip. The libxml2 library seems to have a release often policy (http://xmlsoft.org/news.html) which is nice, but is probably not as relevant to lwip. Anyone suggest any other projects who's release policy can be emulated for lwip?

Anyway.. They are just some ideas. I'd be interested to know your and other people on the lists thoughts.

Thanks,
David.

Hello David,

there have been a number of requests to get towards
a stable branch again.

I think the time is right to branch off "stable", although this
(future) branch has not been tested much yet.

However, the main  goal would be to keep new architectural
and API changes and new features out of the "stable" branch,
so that it stabilizes over time.

Regards,

Leon Woestenberg

Axon Digital Design