lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] OS-less Active Web Server with RAW API.

From: Timmy Brolin
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] OS-less Active Web Server with RAW API.
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 23:35:53 +0200

Why not simply set up a timer interrupts to call tcp_fasttmr() and tcp_slowtmr() ?
That's how I do it.

Timmy

Larry Piggins wrote:

Hello,

This is a standard problem in embedded systems when
you try to do multiple tasks simultaneously in a
single thread of execution.

What you need to do is break your long task into a
state machine - do part of the work, return to call
tcp_fasttmr, do the next part of the work, etc.

(simplified) example:

typedef enum { STATE1, STATE2, STATE3 } state;
void init() { state = STATE1; }
void task() {
  switch (state) {
case STATE1: /*do some work*/ state = STATE2; break; case STATE2: /*do some work*/ state = STATE3; break; case STATE3: /*do some work*/ state = STATE1; break;
  }
}
void main() {
  init();
  while (1) {
     task();
     tcp_tmr(); /*called 3 times as often*/
  }
}

I'm running LWIP in this manner in a product that
executes a lot (and I mean a lot) of other tasks, all
in one thread.

HTH
Larry

--- Welson Sun <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to use lwip's raw API to implement an
active webserver on a
Xilinx Virtex II Pro chip (which has PowerPC
embedded). The webserver serves
as a GUI and the user can select test items with a
web browser. After the
webserver gets the test request, it parses the URL
and do the requested
tests and sends the test result back as webpages.

My current question is: without an OS, the whole
program is a single
process. If the test takes some time, how can I call
the tcp_fasttmr() and
tcp_slowtmr() according to the requirements?