lwip-users

Re: Re: [lwip-users] lwIP Checksum routine

From: timmy brolin
Subject: Re: Re: [lwip-users] lwIP Checksum routine
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:05:18 +0100

The checksum routine should really be written in assembly. By writing it in
assembly you can take advantage of the carry flag. This is not possible in C.

A very efficient assembly version will first load a big chunk of data into the
registers using a "load multiple" instruction, then add all the 16 or 32bit
registers using a "add with carry" instruction.
(then loop as many times as necessary)

Processors with 32bit "add with carry" instructions can do a very fast checksum
computation using this method, but even 16bit "add with carry" instructions
yield good results.

If you are looking for other things to optimise... Make sure routines such as
memcopy and setmem are performed using either DMA or "load/store multiple"
assembly instructions.

/Timmy Brolin