lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] help for porting snmp!

From: Johan Karel Maria Dams
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] help for porting snmp!
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 16:28:30 +0200 (EET)

Hi.

Not sure if this helps, but some time ago I wanted to send email status reports from an embedded device.
I did it like this:

3 parts of the email message

1) To connect to the smtp server
char email[] = "HELO some.smtp.server\r\nMAIL FROM: address@hidden TO:
address@hidden message is:\r\n";
Replace address@hidden with actual email addresses.

2) strcat the actual data, gathered and formatted somewhere else with 1)

3) End communicating with smtp server and strcat with the rest
char part3[] = "\r\n.\r\nquit\r\n";

The actual function taking care of establishing the tcp connection etc. is something like this:

char string[255];

void sendmessage()
{
  struct tcp_pcb *pcb;
  struct ip_addr ipaddr;

  u16_t port = 25; //smtp
  err_t err;

strcat(string,email);
strcat(string,data);
strcat(string,part3);

  IP4_ADDR(&ipaddr, xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx); //IP address of smtp server
  pcb = tcp_new();

tcp_bind(pcb, IP_ADDR_ANY, 100);

err = tcp_connect(pcb, &ipaddr, port, write_email);
}

Where the function write_email is this:

static err_t write_email(void *arg, struct tcp_pcb *tpcb, err_t err)
{
err_t new_err;

  new_err=tcp_write(tpcb,(void *)string,sizeof(string),0);

  return new_err;
}

This was just a simple hack I put together to report the current IP address of the embedded device (M32C Microcontroller) which it got from a DHCP server.

Best regards,
Johan