lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] 1.2.0 etharp_ip_input change

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] 1.2.0 etharp_ip_input change
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 15:48:47 +0000

Kieran Mansley wrote:
On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 17:50 +0000, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
I was wondering about the following change in 1.2.0. Isn't updating the ARP table from incoming IP packets a good thing and normal practice? Otherwise for something which isn't already in the ARP cache (especially a new TCP connection, or UDP from a novel host) won't the lwip stack need to send an ARP request for any response?

There is a moderate spoofing problem with that approach, as you
essentially take it as given that the person who sent you the packet
isn't lying about their MAC address.  By always checking it (by sending
a broadcast ARP request) you give yourself at least a little protection
from such things.

Very little indeed, unfortunately, unless it was by accident, not intentionally.

Whether the efficiency of avoiding the ARP outweighs
the paranoia of always checking is perhaps up to the local network
manager, and we should perhaps consider it as a compile time option.

I'll submit a patch for this then.

Jifl