lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Allocating and deallocating an mbox in different thread

From: Andrew Lentvorski
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Allocating and deallocating an mbox in different threads
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 05:56:51 -0700

Kieran Mansley wrote:
So if I understand correctly I think this is specific to the
modifications that you've made?  I can't see a functional problem with
changing this as you suggest to post a message that would then result in
the freeing of the mbox, but I haven't looked at it in detail.  I think
though that as it is specific to your modifications, it's not
appropriate to make this change in the general code base.

It would be a problem for anyone who uses an mbox implementation in sys_arch.c which is not memory/pointer based. The issue is that the NULL is effectively a stealth shutdown message. It is *not* specific to the fact that I am using 2 threads, multiple mbox-types, etc.

Now, I'm certainly willing to concede that the set of people not using memory/pointer-based mbox's may consist of exactly *1* person. ;)

But using that NULL as a shutdown message definitely breaks the sys_arch.c abstractions that you folks spent so much time setting up.

However, if it's just not a concern, then that's cool, too. I'll just hack something in; it's probably easier for me anyhow. If I don't have to worry about feeding it back into the main codebase, then I can just create a quick hack rather than work out all the race conditions to create a clean patch.

-a