lwip-users

RE: [lwip-users] alignment problems

From: Pettinato, Jim
Subject: RE: [lwip-users] alignment problems
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 10:07:55 -0500

I've never seen a compiler that supported 8 bit chars that couldn't
address each of them individually. The processor may not address them
individually, but you should be able to access each char independently
at the higher level. That's what higher level languages do - hide the
details of the hardware.

Access to individual char values on a word-based bus may result in the
compiler generating a read+shift or read+mask, but you still can
typically load/store even and odd addressed characters at the 'C' level.