lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Separating 'user' code from LWIP code base

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Separating 'user' code from LWIP code base
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:33:22 +0000

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 10:12 -0600, Rasmussen, Art N. wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am using the LWIP stack for a small project running under Linux. It
> is a kind of simulation - we are not using actual hardware for the
> network devices. The stack seems to be working well for this purpose.
>
> Periodically I expect to grab the latest LWIP source from CVS and
> update my local copy to take advantage of new features and bug fixes.
> To simplify this, I am tring to keep 'my code' separate from the LWIP
> code.
>
> I would like to be able to simply copy the LWIP code into my working
> area, recompile and go. Currently I must make some manual tweaks to
> the LWIP code.
>
> An example is the settings of the debug flags. I would like to
> preserve my current settings by keeping them in a separate file called
> (for example) debug_local.h (the 'local' means my local changes to the
> LWIP code).

Can you explain what sort of things you define in debug_local.h?  Are
you basically redefining things that are defined in existing lwIP
headers so that the defaults are what you want?  If that is the case I
would in general encourage you to modify the place where they are
defined in lwIP rather than having your own separate file and then do a
cvs merge to resolve any conflicts when you pull a new version from cvs.
That way you'll be aware of any upstream changes to the settings that
you're changing.

Kieran