lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Performance question

From: Siva Velusamy
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Performance question
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:42:55 -0800

> I don't know whether this informal report helps, but lwIP can go pretty
> darn fast. I could use most of the bandwidth of a 100Mbps network with an
> ARM7 target with 64K RAM, shoving TCP data. It wasn't a very useful sort of
> test admittedly :) - it was a dedicated test precisely for seeing the
> performance. It helps to optimise the header checksum routines.

Another point of comparison: I see anywhere from 120 to 140 Mbps on a
Gigabit link using RAW mode for TCP. RAW mode for UDP was close to 180
Mbps. In this specific test, checksum was completely offloaded to the
hardware.

Under reasonably similar setups, Linux stack gives about the same
performance. I've seen other commercial stacks give ~ 200 Mbps.

However, note that there are a number of factors at work including:
processor speed & CPI, cache sizes, DMA architecture, checksum
capabilities, etc.

/Siva