lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Choosing lwIP

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Choosing lwIP
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:22:36 +0100

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 08:54 -0400, Zeder, Stacy wrote:
> Folks…
>

> I’m looking into TCP/IP stacks and am very interested in lwIP.
> However, on the Altera website, they do not recommend lwIP for new
> development because they said it is legacy, or deprecated.  Is this
> true?  Does anyone out there have any ideas of why they would say
> this?

I think what they're saying is the Altera port of lwIP is old and they
don't support it anymore.  lwIP itself has had a lot of development
since they ported it to their hardware, and continues to do so.

> Does lwIP have support for IPv6?  Could this be the issue?

Not really.  There is some code, but it's incomplete and probably
doesn't work.  None of the current active developers have an interest in
IPv6 (yet) and so it's not received much attention.  I'd be happy if
someone wanted to change this.

> Or, are there other technical capabilities lwIP does not support that
> commercial solutions might?

That depends what you want to use it for.  lwIP is very much aimed at
low memory systems, so won't be the right choice for all projects, but
it has more bells and whistles than you might first expect.  The best
thing to do is come up with a list of requirements and see if lwIP meets
those, as such an open-ended question is hard to answer.

Hope that helps,

Kieran