lwip-users

RE: [lwip-users] Problem With dns.c Using 32-Bit Compilers

From: Bill Auerbach
Subject: RE: [lwip-users] Problem With dns.c Using 32-Bit Compilers
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:14:57 -0400

> I'm not sure which ARM processor you're referring to, but that can't
> actually be true. By definition in the C standard, every compiler is
> guaranteed to have byte access anywhere it wants (IIRC, a byte is
> defined as the minimal unit addressable on the architecture). The fun
> part is that a byte (as defined by the C standard) is not guaranteed to
> have 8-bits!

Are there really any processors in the last 10-20 years that didn't have
bytes that are 8-bits?

To be semantically correct, C defines char (not byte).  Sizeof char is
always 1, and if bytes have 8-bits, then the compiler is guaranteed to load
chars as you stated.  Then it follows that macros are possible that do 2
char accesses.  The macros I posted that do this work - they do 2 separate
byte reads and form the final int.  This should work everywhere.

Bill