lwip-users

RE: [lwip-users] Hello to mailinglist

From: bill
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:40:08 -0500

In a nutshell, data going to and from the application is stored in memory (either RAM or Flash).  When the packet driver sends a packet, it sends the payload part of the data from the same memory that the application provided to be sent.  When the packet driver receives data, the payload is passed to the application in the same memory that it came in to from the MAC.  There can be significant improvement of program performance by not copying, especially when sending or receiving lots of data. This is true from both ends of the spectrum – low speed processors which take a lot of time to simply copy memory and very high speed processors where a memory copy is slow because of the relatively slow speed of memory and not because the speed of the processor.

Bill