lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwip on linux(ubuntu 8.04)

From: Jeff Barber
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwip on linux(ubuntu 8.04)
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 09:17:10 -0400

The MAC address you're seeing is being created by the kernel tap
interface each time you bring simhost up.  If this is your machine
before you run simhost (use a fixed width font for best results):

 ------------------
 | Linux host     |
 |                |
 |          eth0 [|--------- (Your existing network interface)
 |                |
 |                |
 ------------------

This is what it looks like afterward (logically that is; in reality
the simulated lwip host is actually a process running inside your
linux machine):

 ------------------
 | Linux host     |
 |                |
 |          eth0 [|--------- (Your existing network interface)
 |                |
 |                |        ---------------
 |          tap0 [|--------| (simulated) |
 |                |        |  lwip host  |
 ------------------        |             |
                           ---------------

tap0 has the "gateway" address you specified on the simhost command
line (192.168.0.1 by default), the primary IP address specified is the
address of the simulated lwip host (192.168.0.2 by default).

If you use the "-p xx.xx.xx.xx" option, you're pinging out from within
the lwip host.  So the only thing you can really ping is the tap0
"gateway" address (although due to linux idiosyncrasies, it also lets
you ping local interface addresses like the one attached to eth0).

Several things you can try:
Bring up the simhost program (as root).  (For example, "sudo ./simhost")
Then from another shell window, you can ping the lwip simulation with
"ping 192.168.0.2".
You can also telnet to it with "telnet 192.168.0.2" (note that you do
not get a bash shell, you get a limited shell implemented entirely
within the 'fake' lwip host).
Finally, if you have a web browser, you can connect to
http://192.168.0.2 which connects you to the web server implemented
inside the lwip host.

Jeff