lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] PING request not answered

From: David Empson
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] PING request not answered
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 15:19:58 +1200

You can't simply pick a fixed IP address like 192.3.1.254, use it in multiple devices, and expect to use it when plugged into any network.

1. Nobody will be able to communicate with your device unless they reconfigure the router and/or computers on their network to access your device.

2. You can't have two of your devices connected to the same network, as devices on the same network must have unique IP addresses.

3. That is a public IP address and it is assigned to some organisation. If someone does reconfigure their network to enable access to your device, they will be unable to access the computer on the Internet which has been assigned that IP address, and probably several similar IP addresses (unless your device is used on a completely private network which is isolated from the Internet).

4. Most enterprise IT departments have policies on allocation of IP addresses, which you must comply with in order to connect a device to their network. You have to use DHCP, or use a static IP address, subnet mask and gateway assigned by the IT department.

This means you must have a mechanism which allows your device's IP address, subnet mask and gateway to be configured by the end customer or an agent, or be prepared to supply a pre-configured device with custom IP configuration to every customer, and be able to change that configuration on request. A static IP configuration would typically be stored in nonvolatile memory in the device.

You must also have a unique and properly assigned Ethernet MAC address for every device (based on an Organisationally Unique Identifier purchased from IEEE, or a smaller block of MAC addresses). This is typically hard-coded or stored in nonvolatile memory for each device, and cannot be changed by the end user. Some enterprise customers may want to assign their own private MAC addresses as well, but I expect this is very rare (we haven't allowed for it in our devices).

Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2009 3:25 AM

Its because we dont have a CLI on our uC and we wanted to avoir having to
compile the uC each time when changing it's location...

The agent is recieving the ping, but is not replying.. Thats why I'm
thinging of something implemented in LWIP which block the reply.

Alex

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick Culver" <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2009 9:40 AM

Alex,
I think what Mike meant was to change the IP address of your uC to the
same
subnet group as your PC.  For example your PC is apparently set to
172.27.37.70 so trying setting the IP of your uC to 172.27.37.75 or
similar.
You should then be able to ping the uC either through a switch or with a
crossover cable.
Rick

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alexandre Malo" <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2009 8:04 AM