lwip-users

Re: SV: [lwip-users] TCP payload is doubled

From: David Empson
Subject: Re: SV: [lwip-users] TCP payload is doubled
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:21:23 +1300

Kieran Mansley wrote:
On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 11:18 +1300, David Empson wrote:
Kieran Mansley wrote:
> I was a bit wrong there.  I've taken another look at the code and this
> change in behaviour is intentional.  There were two changes in 1.3.1:
> - only send an explicit window update if the change is greater than
> TCP_WND_UPDATE_THRESHOLD.
> - only change the window advertised (including in normal ACKs) if the
> change is greater than 1 MSS.  This is silly window avoidance, and
> designed to prevent the sender getting small amounts of window and then
> sending small packets.

The description of silly window avoidance in RFC1122 (section 4.2.3.3) says
that there is supposed to be a second test.

The threshold to advertise an increase in window size should be the lesser
of MSS and WND/2 (assuming the recommended fraction of 1/2).

Sounds like a good change.  Could you file a bug for this?

Done.

https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?27783

I added another paragraph summarising the behavour observed with the code as it stands.