lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Lwip SNMP support: adding LWIP_IPSTACK_MIB2 Compile-Tim

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Lwip SNMP support: adding LWIP_IPSTACK_MIB2 Compile-Time configuration
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 16:52:07 +0100

Mike Kleshov wrote:
I'd like to share my experience with SNMP too.
I had to add SNMP support to my application. I looked at lwip's SNMP agent and decided that it was too big and complicated for me (I didn't need all the features.) So I decided to create my own SNMP agent. The result is a small (650 lines) and simple SNMPv1 agent with no write support. I didn't need MIB parsing either, so OIDs were hard-coded in binary representation.
The problem of lwIP's SNMP agent is that it seems to be written for external mibs that get/set their data asynchronously. The second "feature" many people wouldn't need is the ability to add or remove tree entries at runtime. The agent could be a lot smaller if these two features wouldn't be included!
I didn't need any of the MIB-2 data either. So I guess it is possible to have an SNMP agent and not have MIB-2 info collection.
Of course it is, but someone has to do the work (change the code to support it). Unless that's done, adding a compile-time check that for LWIP_SNMP (use lwIP's agent), LWIP_MIB2 is necessary is a good thing to do.

Simon