lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] seq number & ACK issue

From: PHAM ANH THIEN
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] seq number & ACK issue
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 10:36:09 +0700

"Your sender would therefore send
bursts of 5 packets less often, and the speed would be about the same"

Why my sender only can send bursts of 5 packets less often??? i can send more than 5 packets, right? i don't understand, could you please explain?

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Kieran Mansley <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 17:57 +0700, PHAM ANH THIEN wrote:

> my goal is improving speed of send/recv, now sending speed i reach
> 1.2MBytes/s. And i recognize after 2 packets sending will receive a
> ACK so
> if i can change after 5 packets (or more) sending will receive a ACK
> then
> absolutely speed will increase? Is is my thinking correct?

No, sadly that's not the way TCP works.  You are not limited by the rate
of ACKs returned to the sender.  You are most likely limited by whatever
processes received packets and generates those ACKs.  If it just sent an
ACK every 5 packets that wouldn't make it magically work faster, it
would just send ACKs less often.  Your sender would therefore send
bursts of 5 packets less often, and the speed would be about the same.

> By the way, could you please tell me max speed of your lwip ? my
> system
> using is LPC2388 & FreeRTOS.

Not usefully.  Your system and setup and configuration will be different
to other peoples, and this will affect the speed greatly.

Kieran