lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Windows 7 Startup crashes LwIP and Free RTOS

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Windows 7 Startup crashes LwIP and Free RTOS
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 07:36:43 +0200

Marco Jakobs wrote:
> Question one:
> What is the behaviour of LwIP in that case, if there are still some
> frames of the packet in the EMAC buffers but some other frames are
> missing due to the EMAC threw them away because of an overflow?

That's rather a driver question, not an lwIP question: the driver should make
sure that it only delivers complete packets to lwIP. I.e. if some parts of the
packet are missing due to the MAC trying to split it to multiple buffers but
running out of buffers half way through, the driver should throw away the
partly received packet.

However, *if* the driver passes in the packet, some part of the code should
detect an invalid packet and drop it. Which part detects that depends on where
the packet is cut off (i.e. are the headers included at all, is the checksum
correct/incorrect, etc.). While that code is there, it's always better to drop
such packets as soon as possible, of course.

> Question two:
> Is there any action needed if the EMAC sets the receive overflow bit?

Can't help you with that... or the other hardware-related questions...

Simon